I’ve always liked cotton, wool & flannel. I think it really started one day about 65, years ago when I was burning some trash for my mother, our household seamstress, and dumped a bunch of sewing scraps into the burning barrel and watched the scraps melt on the Sid of the barrel. I knew I didn’t want to be wearing that fabric in or close to fire
I recently bought a cheap, allegedly cotton shirt made in China, where "cotton" means something it doesn't mean in the West. Decent-looking shirt but it instantly raised my body temperature to a perilous level.
Classic Bike magazine has reprinted ads from the swinging '60s for "leather-looking" 100% rainproof all-plastic one-piece riding suits. I imagine sliding down the road after a get-off, bursting into flames as I go, with the suit's melted parts bonding with my freshly flayed flesh. But I have a morbid imagination. --rats
I’ve always liked cotton, wool & flannel. I think it really started one day about 65, years ago when I was burning some trash for my mother, our household seamstress, and dumped a bunch of sewing scraps into the burning barrel and watched the scraps melt on the Sid of the barrel. I knew I didn’t want to be wearing that fabric in or close to fire
ReplyDeleteI was burning clothes one time and noticed some clothing almost exploded in flames melting hot dripping plastic so scary I almost cried.
DeleteI remember the feel of polyester crepe and it gives me the creeps to this day.
ReplyDeleteSome modern "technical" synthetics I'm OK with though.
I recently bought a cheap, allegedly cotton shirt made in China, where "cotton" means something it doesn't mean in the West. Decent-looking shirt but it instantly raised my body temperature to a perilous level.
ReplyDeleteClassic Bike magazine has reprinted ads from the swinging '60s for "leather-looking" 100% rainproof all-plastic one-piece riding suits. I imagine sliding down the road after a get-off, bursting into flames as I go, with the suit's melted parts bonding with my freshly flayed flesh. But I have a morbid imagination. --rats
And during the Falklands war, they discovered that uniforms made from synthetics do indeed melt into skin. Horrible.
ReplyDeleteIt is horrible. But it didn't stop Joe Biden's cross-dressing officers from wearing nylons.
Delete