According to Gas Pump Company Histories, The Shotwell Pump and Tank Company is something of a mystery. Their first recorded advertisement for a pump was in 1917 when they were located in Indianapolis. By 1925, they were advertising locations in both Boston and Indianapolis. In 1928, the Service Station Equipment Company Ltd. of Toronto, Ontario purchased them, along with the Bennett Pump Company, consolidating as the Bennett Pump Company. Initially they offered Shotwell-Bennett pumps, but the Shotwell name disappeared after 1930.