Friday, May 3, 2013

We used to make things in this country. #13: Evans Rule Company, Montreal, Quebec (Updated)





The Evans Rule Company was once the world's largest tape measure manufacturer, with facilities in North Charleston, South Carolina; Elizabeth, New Jersey and Montreal, Quebec.  Evans supplied most of the tape measures sold by Sears, Roebuck & Co.  


Popular Mechanics, June 1954


Popular Science, March 1956



Continue-Flo Products, Burlington, Ontario.  1961 Catalogue


                                               
Evans also made chalk lines 


and a utility knife, with their own name on the blades:





(Their style of blades, with a central hole that fits over a boss on its retractable holder, seems unique to them. Other brands of utility blades will not fit.)

Their main facility in Elizabeth, New Jersey purchased in 1951, was the former home of the American Swiss File & Tool Company, which had been established in 1900 by Edward P. Reichhelm who had emigrated from Prussia, fought in the American civil war, and ultimate become a mechanical engineer.  He introduced the use of gas furnaces for annealing and hardening file steel.



At some point, Evans became a subsidiary of the Masco Corporation.



Masco Screw Products first contract was for a machining job from the Hudson Motorcar Company. Photo source Masco


In 1986, Evans introduced the tape-square, an idea which didn't appear to catch on.

The Family Handyman.  October, 1986.
That same year, the L.S. Starrett Company bought Evans for between $20 and $30 million.   It became a division of Starrett, which cut costs by consolidating all of the Evans tape measure manufacturing in the Dominican Republic.  Evans is no longer offered as a brand by the parent company.  As for the Montreal plant, it was closed down sometime during all of the buying and selling of the company.




17 comments:

Blakeney said...

I know I'm late to comment, but thank you for this. Found your site after a Google Search. I'm sitting here gazing at my grandpa's old Evans tape measure - it's the small one in the first Advertisement shown. We've used it off and on for years and it really is wonderfully made. There's craft even in the outside texture, which is a beautiful pattern of raised tiny dots with a dimple in each.

[Sigh] I totally agree with the perspective of your blog, wish we'd wake up. Companies only make money when people buy their products. And people only buy their products when they have money (and jobs) with which to do so.

Mister G said...

Seems simple enough doesn't it? But short term profit (the next quarter!) is the game

Dane Scarborough said...

I met Jack Evans in 2002 when he made an offer to buy my company LEVELUTION (American made precision levels and Self-Marking Tape measures). Jack and I became great friends and I had a great deal of respect for him. I ended up selling to Newell/Rubbermaid, but I've never forgotten the help and encouragement I got from Jack. FYI: Jack patented the first three rivet tape hook in 1967, long before Stanley Works.

Mister G said...

Thanks for your contribution!

Richard Einhorn said...

I still own one of his retractable key Ring thing with the tag that says if found mail these keys and postage will be paid and it's to Evan's rule company Newark New Jersey 07114

Unknown said...

Hello, My wife and I worked there for years up till they moved to Dominican Republic. It was the best place I have worked, very family oriented and they took a personal interest of the workers. Betty White was the soul of the HR department and she was very genuine. We miss the place and often we meet other associates and we all have fond memories of our time there.

Unknown said...

I have one with the tag also. I decided to look up the company.

stellanova said...

My grandfather started this company and my brother and I worked for it for many years until it was acquired by Sterritt and closed down and operations were moved to the Dominican republic. A great company, great family business sad to see so much American manufacturing going overseas!:-(

Mister G said...

I lo0ve to see these comments. Great stories.

Willy K said...

Wow !! Such informative and intuitive comments from you all. Simply, I have a 10 foot push pull Evans Tapes measure made in USA circa early 1950s. I think my grandfather used it to build a house on Lake Huron in Canada then passed it on to my Dad who passed it on to me. I use it often. I have 5 or 6 much newer tape measures but this is my favorite for small jobs (I dont want to wear out or break although very well made). Cheers everyone from Willy K.

ksdaddy said...

I don't pay much attention to the brand of tapes, as long as there's one within reach. Somewhere along the way I found an old Evans thin (1/4" x 6 ft) tape and it's been in the pocket of my barn coat ever since. It doesn't lock, so it's kind of a pain, but it's small and thin and I don't even know I have it in my pocket. Most of the printing below the 8" mark is worn off.... I wish I could find a replacement blade. I know these tapes are available (used) on ebay under $10 with free shipping, but I'd like to replace 'just' the blade if possible, even if it cost more.

Anonymous said...

owned a power tape for most of my life and it finally broke. managed to order another one on ebay. never before thought to search out the history of the company - so was surprised to see it had a plant in montreal where i still live. thanks for your research - it has added to my day and life. dave

Anonymous said...

Had an evans tape as an apprentice it lasted an age ive never had one as good since

Anonymous said...

My father and I manufactured and sold the chemistry at the North Charleston SC location. When the facility closed we purchased the plating equipment and moved it to Michigan. It’s still setup here in Warren. It was Guardian (SRG Global) first automatic line. Jack Evans bought it and moved it from Indiana to South Carolina in 1982ish. We had the replating chemistry until the day it closed in 2001-2002. My Father loves Jack Evans and Betty White to this day.
Rob Coffie Plating Technologies Inc. Warren MI

Anonymous said...

Preplating chemistry for the plastic Plating line. It should have read. 😁

Anonymous said...

I remember Betty white and Jack Evans Mickey and Tom Corbin too

Dave said...

I have an Evans 100 ft tape that was given to me by my father-in-law before he passed. It looks identical to the tape shown above. However, mine is in better condition. The label is in very good condition and shows that it was made in Montreal, Que., Canada.

I will leave it to my sons when I pass.

Cheers

Dave