Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Vanished Tool Makers: Paramo Tools & W.H. Clay Ltd., Sheffield, England






F. Parramore & Sons began in Chapeltown, Sheffield as a stove-grate factory. They began making castings for Record vises, and as a consequence were tasked with making entire vises after the Record factory in Sheffield was bombed during WW II.  In the late 1970's, they acquired W.H. Clay and its line of cabinet-maker's screwdrivers. (Below, from one of my screwdrivers.)


Somewhere along the line the company created a Paramo Tools division.  In 1981, the company was subject to a management buyout, setting up in new quarters as Paramo Tools Limited.  The F. Parramore cast iron foundry was shut down the same year and eventually demolished, with a housing estate built on its former location.  In 2003, Paramo Tools went into receivership with the loss of about 50 jobs.

Chapeltown






8 comments:

Don Wood said...

Thanks I used to work for Sterling Roncraft from Chapletown in the 1970's. Cays have gone now which is a pity. All these toolmakers have disappeared because quality British goods are more expensive than cheap imports. Shame but people normally but on price.

Unknown said...

Hi! I was from Late 1969- late 1972 as a German Exchange Student employed as a translator - first at tempered tools& dies and then as a factory Wormer- drilling holes into various sizes of vices at Paramore & Sons. Due to the start of a work shortage)etc., Mr. and Mrs. Preddan (correct spelling?) employed me as a gardener at their country house - a bus ride outside Sheffield! They where the utmost kindest and most beautiful people I got to this date have ever known! I lived first at the Sheffield VNCA and later on on Thorncliff Rd. Then via the Canberra from Southampton to New York City And now living in Canada. I am seeking all and many of the friends I made a d had while in Sheffield and enjoyed Tiny Currie playing just at that time of my living in Sheffield: for my still fav soccer team: Sheffield United! Hey Rod! Are you still living in Rotherham? A Sheffield revisit is on top of my bucket list! I still have all my curriculum vitees- from Tempered Tools as well Parrmore& Sons!

Mister G said...

Good luck, hope you reconnect. It's happened at other companies due to a post here!

Tim Pridham said...

Hello Wolfgang, I am the youngest of the Pridham children and I remember you well. I seem to recall spending a lot of time sat on your shoulders!

Unknown said...

Just bought a Sheffield made cold chisel marked 'Clay' in a 'lozenge' exactly the same shape as that containing the 'Paramo' name. Possibly made by Parramore and 'badged' as 'Clay' ??

Anonymous said...

Please send a picture to gerald@vanwyngaarden.ca, I’ll post it!

Anonymous said...

Although the title is of Sheffield munitions workers, in fact they seem to be making Paramo vices in this film on the BFI Player,
https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-womens-munitions-workers-sheffield-1940-online

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link!