September 13, 1870. A momentous occasion at Fergus Ontario, as the line is opened. Parliament chartered the railway in 1869 and - looking ahead! - it was leased to the Great Western Railway for 1000 years. The mainline from Guelph- (through Fergus) to Southampton was completed three years later and in the summer of 1874 had reached Kincardine. The new 168 mile line ran with Great Western equipment, including the locomotive Adam Brown and passenger train shown here in a celebration complete with bunting, marching bands and crowds of celebrants. The railway line lasted 110 years and was abandoned in the 1980s.