Thursday, March 31, 2022

Jordan Playboy lifestyle advertising


The Jordan Playboy got its name from the title of John Millington Syinge's 1907 play, The Playboy of the Western World. The idea of the advertising campaign happened spontaneously (according to Edward "Ned" Jordan himself) who said "I was dancing with a real outdoor girl, Eleanor Borton, who said, Why don't you build a swanky roadster for the girl that loves to paddle, swim and shoot... and the boy who loves the roar of the cutout?
I said, Girl, you've given me a million dollar idea, thanks for the best dance I ever had!"
 The campaign, aimed at the young, confident (and wealthy) woman, was extremely successful, resulting in the sales of 2000 cars in the first year...

From an article in Dec 1980 issue of Collector and Classic Cars

 

1 comment:

rats said...

My goodness, that copywriting is sickening. I am humbled, having urped up plenty of nauseating advertising smarm my ownself but nothing that approaches Mr. Jordan's ad guys' work. Thank you G.