Lt Col. Robert J. Icks, Tanks and Armoured Vehicles. Phillip Andrews Pub. 1945
Designed by Vickers in 1938 and built from 1940 to 1945 in many different variants. Armour was a maximum thickness of 65 mm and the main gun ranged from the 2 lb to 75mm. It was built in the UK and Canada, mostly used by Commonwealth forces and was also supplied to the Russians in large numbers. The Canadian variant used the GMC Detroit diesel which was judged a success. In total more than 8000 were built.