Friday, March 20, 2020

Stanley scraper



I've been using a handheld scraper on a woodworking project I've been playing with, as I make nice curly shavings it occurred to me that scrapers must have been in use long before someone invented sandpaper, whenever that was.
 Only problem with a scraper is that it's tiring to use, the operator applying pressure with his fingers. When I found this Stanley scraper at a local antique shop I pondered buying it and putting it to work.
In the end I decided against it, so when I got home I checked online for identification, although it didn't have a model number it does resemble the #282 model below. Possibly it's an early version of the tool?



3 comments:

JP said...

This blog sould carry a warning. This post alone sent me into an hour-long tailspin into fish scales,(cosmoid, ganoid, elasmoid, cycloid, ctenoid, etc...), all to do with fish skin having been once used as an abrasive. Some statements left hanging here, like "...someone invented sandpaper", are downright hazardous to normal, scheduled daytime activities :-).

Mister G said...

ha ha ha! I briefly considered doing a history of sandpaper (starting with sharkskin!-regional, obviously) and that would require a history of paper and cloth and adhesives and, and, and...

VectorWarbirds said...

OMG what the hell is ctenoid... well there goes my normal scheduled daytime activities!