Tuesday, September 29, 2026
The Monstrosity
Found in a 1966 Cycle World magazine, this custom was the work of one Speedy Babs. Starting with an Indian four frame, he added telescopic forks from an Indian Arrow. Perhaps anticipating Honda's CB750, the engine was a repurposed McCulloch flat four two stroke intended for a target drone. The engine is coupled to a BMW transmission and driveshaft. He apparently said he built it as a lark and named it "the Monstrosity". No word on how well it worked...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I remember reading about that, and daydreamed about having one. At that time, the most powerful stock motorcycle engines were only about 50 horse power, and the McCullock(?) 100 cubic inch engine was rated at 72hp.
Knowing what I now know, I bet it was a disappointment. Super loud, crude carburator, "peaky" engine, and any type of muffler would greatly reduce the horsepower. I doubt if it was ridden enough to worry about the gas/oil mix mileage.
Ah! But what daydreams!
Jack from Illinois
Not a daily driver, then.
Post a Comment