Thursday, November 6, 2014

It's a Rolex Oyster!



Funny story.  Many years ago my father-in-law gave me a box of old stuff he no longer wanted.  Included in it was an old wrist watch.  I didn't really look at it, other than to discover that it wouldn't wind, and so I put it out at a yard sale.  I would have sold it for a quarter.  The only person who showed any interest all day was a kid, who asked if the watch worked. I told him it didn't and he dropped it back on the table.  At the end of the day, I picked the watch up and decided it was actually kind of retro cool, and might be fun to wear when I was cruising around on my Norton.  So, I took it to a local watch repair guy, who opened it and told me it needed a new mainspring for about $30.  I asked, "Is it worth it?" He said, "Well, it's a Rolex."  Duh!  I paid to have it fixed!





Both ads from Continental Holiday.  The American Travel Guide to Europe.  (New York, 1961).

No comments: