|Charles Maginley, The ships of Canada's Marine Services, Vanwell Publishing 2003|
The elegant Vigilant was built by Polson Iron Works in Toronto in 1904 as a fisheries protection vessel. Built on the model of a small warship, she was armed with two 3 pounder quick firing cannons and the bow was designed as a ram. She was used till 1924 when the Customs Preventative Service chartered her for patrols on the east coast. Eventually she was converted to a barge and was scrapped in 1956..