Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Cable operated master cylinder


The Guzzi linked braking system, the part I'm interested in is the cable-operated remote front master cylinder.  Below, BMW did the same arrangement about the same time with the cylinder under the tank. 
I'm contemplating a 250cc mid-sixties streetbike-based project using a front disc- and handlebars with integral cable lever mounts so I'll probably put the master cylinder up out of sight under the tank and- like the Guzzi- run a brake cable to operate it. 


5 comments:

JP said...

The Brembo system at the top looks like it could be an exercise in cost cutting, by using identical M/Cs front and rear and a common brake fluid reservoir. That leaves the problem of very different (1 to 2) ratios of M/C to slave cylinder of either M/C respectively. Probably off a smaller-capacity Guzzi model.
The bottom one looks like a standard-ish throttle housing/master cylinder combo, item 12 being the piston push-operated by the lever heel, no cable.

Mister G said...

I had the above arrangement on a Guzzi V50, didn't seem to offer any advantages and the ratio did seem wrong for the single and separate front disc. The BMW arrangement below, I'm sure is the remote master under the tank, which is cable operated, but I'm trying to find a better picture.

VectorWarbirds said...

I would agree with JP, I had that sidewinder throttle on a BMW, the master cylinder is part of the throttle on that particular unit.

VectorWarbirds said...

I believe this is the BMW assembly in the parts breakdown picture:
https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/brakeassembly368.htm

Mister G said...

Yes you are correct. Thanks, guys. This is the one I was thinking of.
https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/bmcylinder379.htm I changed the post.