Thursday, July 25, 2024

The Modern Motor-Driven Woodworking shop, 1930


This 125 page book by Woodworkers Educational Department (a division of Delta Manufacturing) dates to 1930 and introduces the reader to the world of woodworking with power tools. It's the forerunner of a million woodworking books and seems very advanced for the time, there were still factories running machines with belts and shafts. Many techniques and tips are described along with instructions for operating the various tools. I wonder how many regular guys could afford these sophisticated tools, or even a workshop, 1930 was into the Depression.





3 comments:

Dave said...

Thank you for this. I'm still using my grandfather's table saw of this vintage (looks exactly like "Fig. No. 53 A Very Practical Circular Saw" (if a bit dangerous)) and I was able to download all three volumes from vintagemachinery.org. Lots of useful info and pictures in there!

Mister G said...

And not much space is wasted on safety :-) I thought much of the info did look useful, even 90 plus years later.

Anonymous said...

I've never hurt myself using a power tool. My rules are simple: nobody else around, and take my time.