Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Surplus surgical lamp


This coffin-like box appeared in my Christmas stocking this year, a gift from a dear friend and long time partner in crime... 
 It seems that during the Cold War part of the government preparation for disaster was the ability to set up temporary field hospitals wherever needed. The date on the box is June 16 1966. This well-packed surgical lamp was part of the warehoused supplies.
Unscrewing eight #10 screws from the lid reveals an extendable 110 volt floor lamp with heavy cast base, an extra bulb and a two prong adapter. Nothing else, not even an instruction manual. There is no indication of where it was made. The company name is Rencraft Products Ltd. of Toronto with only a post office box for an address. I don't see any information on the company on the internet.

The 50 year old cardboard boxes are in perfect condition, better made than any modern product, I can't bring myself to throw them out!







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey. I just got my hands on the exact same lamp. Do you know what it's worth? Please email me @ jackwolfskin2020@gmail.com. Thanks