Another long lost production machine manufacturing equipment company, I thought when I saw this image of a double action press in a 1919 machinery book. The text went on to explain the pressing process but I was more interested in the company.
The Farrel foundry started business in 1851, in 1880 the company was reorganized as the Waterbury Farrel company making various metal working machines for industry. The company had a good run till it was acquired by Textron in 1960 and moved to Cheshire Conn. where it was consolidated with Jones and Lamson Machine. The Jones and Lamson portion got out of the business in 1993 and in 1994 Waterbury Farrel purchased the Canadian branch of the bankrupt Wean Inc. company of Pittsburgh. Waterbury Farrel then up and moved to Brampton, Ontario where they now manufacture ammunition and ammunition-manufacturing production lines as well as presses and rolling mills. The NAFTA Trade Agreement was signed Jan 1 1994, so that may have been a factor in the move? Odd, because everyone else went to Mexico!

No comments:
Post a Comment