When I bought my (used) Norton Commando it came with two sets of used Lucas points in the toolkit. About a year later, riding down the road I dropped one cylinder. A little roadside testing found the point spring broken on one set of points. I took out the Asian point set and installed the original Lucas and motored on. Apparently I'm a slow learner because I waited for the same failure to happen, again on the road, before I installed the other original point set. I have no complaints with the quality of Lucas components.
My experience was they were no worse than anything else at the time. BMC/Leyland Minis and Metros came with Lucas or French Ducellier distributors. They were about the same for reliability. UK car manufacturers were undemanding so suppliers produced the same old. Then Datsun comes with what is effectively BMC A series clone and an ignition system which works on a cold wet morning.
2 comments:
When I bought my (used) Norton Commando it came with two sets of used Lucas points in the toolkit. About a year later, riding down the road I dropped one cylinder. A little roadside testing found the point spring broken on one set of points. I took out the Asian point set and installed the original Lucas and motored on. Apparently I'm a slow learner because I waited for the same failure to happen, again on the road, before I installed the other original point set. I have no complaints with the quality of Lucas components.
My experience was they were no worse than anything else at the time. BMC/Leyland Minis and Metros came with Lucas or French Ducellier distributors. They were about the same for reliability. UK car manufacturers were undemanding so suppliers produced the same old. Then Datsun comes with what is effectively BMC A series clone and an ignition system which works on a cold wet morning.
Post a Comment