Thursday, November 16, 2017

Vanished Tools: Chicago Rawhide Split-Head Hammer




I recently picked up this split-head rawhide hammer for a few bucks.  It's cool that the initials for the company are even stamped onto the handle.  I surmise that the shape around the C/R logo on the head and handle is supposed to represent a stretched hide.

The tool needed new 1-1/2" rawhide faces, which are cheaply available through McMaster-Carr.

Founded in 1878, Chicago Rawhide continues to make seals (but not hammers) as part of the SKF empire, which acquired them in 1990.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I probably knew the employees who made that hammer. Color me envious.

Howard K said...

I’m trying to get in touch with people who worked at the old Chicago Rawhide. Do you have any leads? My email hmkanare@gmail.com