Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Sebastian lathe headstock


If anyone was looking for a headstock for their older flat belt Sebastian lathe, I found this one at Liberty Tool.

 1910 catalog here

 Sebastian built lathes from 1891 till 1951, when they were acquired by Cincinnati Metalcrafts.  I have not seen an actual Sebastian lathe but according to Vintage Machinery.org. the company was started by Benjamin Sebastian and his wife Clara after he left the Sebastian Mays Co. in 1891. The company was located just across at Ohio border at Covington, Kentucky.
 


Upper right corner, on the back gear, wonder what those segmented teeth are for?






4 comments:

Dave said...

The only thing I can think of regarding the gear is that the segmented area is where you put grease, so it doesn't get immediately squeezed out and has a chance to distribute?

Anonymous said...

my guess is a couple of teeth got broken and were replaced by tapping threaded studs in and filing them to fit , a common repair to cast cogs in years gone by.

Dave said...

I abandon my suggestion and second the repair solution. It looks like typically they would fill in the space between the studs with weld and then file to shape, but that step was skipped. That repair took some skill and patience.

Mister G said...

I'll check it the next time I'm there, won't sell quick I suspect. I'll take better pictures of that area.