Monday, June 29, 2015

Craftsman rotary tool




Lovely little tool I found recently.  It even came with a spare armature!  The spoon-shaped part beside the chuck is to assist in holding the tool by the barrel for closer work.  I think I may be able to mount it on the tool post of my metal lathe as a grinder.

I'm not sure of the tool's age but it was probably made by Emerson Electric, which used to make most of the power tools for Sears before being unceremoniously dumped.  (For that sad story, read Bernie Marcus' and Arthur Blank's 1999 book: Built from Scratch: How a Couple of Regular Guys Grew The Home Depot from Nothing to $30 Billion.  I've excerpted the relevant pages here.  That was 16 years ago, before Ridgid also went to off-shore production. Today, almost all Ridgid tools are now made by Hong Kong-based TekTronics International (TTI), the parent company of Ryobi, which also manufactures the tools for AEG and Milwaukee.)

No comments: