Friday, June 5, 2015

We used to make things in this country. #198: The Hammer Pump Company


Above, the bottom of the an old bicycle pump in my shop. It's the one on the right in the photo below, which shows some other heavily-made examples from other unnamed manufacturers.

The seal was held in place with two Whitworth nuts, the first time I've seen these on a Canadian-made tool, so this would date it at least before World War II.  At a guess, I'd estimate that the device is probably at least 80 years old. The original leather seal was dry, so I put some leather conditioner on it, and then white lithium grease, and it pumped air just fine. I wonder if a pump made today would still give service this far into its future?



For some interesting info on old pumps, visit Classic Cycle.

No comments: