|AJ Foster, Heart of Oak, Methuen 1985|
|Charles Maginley, The ships of Canada's Marine Services, Vanwell Publishing 2003|
The HMCS Canada was launched in 1904 as the CGS (Canadian Government Ship) Canada and served in the Fisheries Protection Service. When the Royal Canadian Navy was formed in 1910 she became the first ship in the service, serving as a naval training vessel. During WW1 she was fitted with guns and patrolled the east coast of Canada.
She was retired in 1920 and sold. During transit in 1926 to another sale, she sank in the straits of Florida.