|Source: Workers City|
J.H. Killey & Co. was founded in Hamilton in 1870 to manufacture engines & boilers. In 1884, a merger resulted in the Osborne-Killey Company which consisted of two manufacturing operations — the Mona Iron Works and the Hamilton Scale Company. The Mona operation produced pumps, boilers and engines for a variety of uses. The company also manufactured the steam engines and pumps for Hamilton’s second Waterworks, installed in 1887. The company also made steam engines, steam road-rollers, stone breakers, steam boilers, steam fire engines, compound condensing and other pumpting engines, sewer pipe machinery. Brass & iron foundries were also operated and weight scales manufactured. In 1898, the factory changed owners and became the Smart-Eby Machine Company. It became the Smart-Turner Machine Company after another reorganization three years later. Until the late 1980s, workers here turned out all kinds of pumps for industrial and municipal use. Smart-Turner remains in business, with headquarters in Brantford, Ontario.