The western end of the Canada Atlantic Railway ended at Depot Harbour on Georgian Bay, home of large grain elevators. Before the rebuilding of the Welland Canal in 1932, this railway was the shortest and quickest route for the shipment of prairie grain to the Atlantic ports. Here we have a couple of early views of the town, taken from the top of the grain elevators, below an early view of the grain elevator. After the railway was closed in 1933, the town went into decline and today only one of the original buildings remains, used as a cottage.
|Photos from Niall MacKay, Over the Hills to Georgian Bay, Boston Mills Press, 1981|