Monday, July 17, 2017

One of my vices is vises, Crawford Vise





I found this vise on Kijiji, from another Ontario foundry I had never heard of. 
The ad mentions the fact that this vise was manufactured in Woodstock On. I did a search and found this on Garage Journal.
"Crawford Machine was in business for a lot of years, and at one time cast parts for the Gould-Shapely-Muir engine company from Brantford Ont. They also made cast dumbells and big cast counter weights for forklifts. They presumably built or cast other items, but I have never found any info on them. Gordon Crawford was the owner." Not much else on Google...

Update, June 2021
From “What’s Woodstock” a Community Service Guide from November 2014.

It states, “Gordon Crawford started and operated a machine shop in the barn behind the family home located on 41 Cedar Street in 1938. In 1942 he moved the business “Crawford Machine and Foundry” to 100 Wilson Street, the current location of Battlefield Rental. At one time the business boasted a workforce of more than 50 workers. 
Many items were manufactured at the shop including manhole covers, some of which can still be found on the city streets in Woodstock today. Crawford sold the business in 1974.”

Thank you to Craig and Ed Crawford for the following contribution;

I am Ed Crawford, eldest son of Gordon Milne Crawford. 
My Dad was born in Woodstock in 1912 and passed away in 1993. 
His father, Frederick Crawford lived on Cedar Street, Woodstock. He operated a cartage business with horse and wagon and then a truck. That business was taken over by my Uncle Tony, Crawford Cartage which was located on Mill Street.

Items that were made by the company are vises, burners for tobacco kilns, wheels for Standard Tube push carts, plow shears, heatilators for fire places, clean out doors for chimneys and a lot more items out of cast iron. Small things that were made were nut crackers in the shape of a squirrel and alligator and even ash trays. 
It was in 1974 when Gordon Crawford got sick and had to retire.  His office manager, Stan Nader bought the business, who unfortunately let it go down the tubes. Very sad!
Far right, Gordon Crawford and the family Great Dane. Far left sitting Gordon's brother Doug.

And one more thing from Progress is Fine... always looking for items from the Crawford foundry!



Now these vises are starting to turn up in various places, I've seen them in 4, 5 and 6" sizes.
And here's an interesting display item sent by a reader. Different font than the ashtray/frying pan...
Thanks, Lee!



14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live right beside where the factory was. The property has a tool rental business on it now. Right across the street from One of a Kind antiques. The family home that was beside the factory is still there.
I know the owners son, he's still in Woodstock with his wife.

Mister G said...

Thanks for the comment and info! From what you say, the original building is no longer there?

Anonymous said...

The original building was demolished sometime in the mid 1980's, then there was a car dealer there for a while and the tool rental went up in the early 1990's, if my memory serves me correctly. Still to this day there is a fairly large field behind the rental place that I think belonged to Crawfords. I also remember that they had a rail line running through the back of the property. I never saw it used, but as a kid I remember some old cars sitting there we used to play on, there was even a small push cart on the rails we used to push and ride. (fun times!)
Also from memory, there was a big auction sell off at the end, but I was too young to really care about auctions at the time. I don't know what was at the auction but I heard they sold everything to the walls. So maybe not so much inventory and more machinery.

Anonymous said...

We moved to Newfoundland and found one in the garage that was left. It had Woodstock on it!

Mister G said...

Bring it back. Its homesick!

Lee Kostis said...

Just bought a Crawford vise today.
It's says Crawford 40.
Missing the Woodstock.
Made in Canada on the other side,was purchased in Woodstock at an estate sale.

Mister G said...

I wonder why they would eliminate the town name. But there are often changes over a many-year production run... Enjoy !

Anonymous said...

I was born and raised in Woodstock. Back when I was in grade 10, many years back now, my machine shop project in high school was to make a vise. My shop teacher bought the rough castings from Crawfords and I had to do all the machine work to it and make the jaws, main screw and handle. Great memories of the project. Still have the 6" vise.
Tim

Mister G said...

Great story! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Mr G......how do I contact you?

Anonymous said...

You can email me at gerald@vanwyngaarden.ca thsnks!

Anonymous said...

Glen....I found you on fb and sent you a message.

Anonymous said...

Gerald....not Glen

Mister G said...

Hi, I saw your Fbk message- and lost it! Could you send again, please?