Friday, July 14, 2017

Starrett No. 150 hacksaw frame




I found this languishing in a ReStore last week. I love Starrett tools, so having an older Starrett hacksaw frame would be cool. Five bucks later it was mine. I have to say, though, that I'm not impressed with the quality of the frame.  It certainly isn't up to the standard of the company's precision measuring tools that I have in my shop.  Cheap die-cast handle, bent steel tubular frame, it doesn't stand out from any of the other hacksaw frames from lesser brands that I own.  I'm sure it represents the start of cost-cutting on Starrett's part, probably necessary in light of market competition.

Interestingly, the Model 150 was quite different in the company's 1938 catalogue.  The No. 169 and 489 saw frames look very nice, especially by comparison with mine.




Popular Science, November 1931