Sunday, August 6, 2017

Vanished tool makers: L. Huggniot-Tissot, France


I recently found this pair of duckbill pliers at a yard sale.  They're marked "L. Huggniot-Tissot."  I can't make out what the logo on the left side is supposed to represent. I've read that the company's trademarks included a crown, a lion (passant, looking over shoulder), a cockerel and the letters "L.H.T."  It doesn't look to me like any of these.


Curiously, it's marked "Acier Anglais" ("English steel") but also "Made in France."  A truly bilingual tool.



There's not a lot of online information about this manufacturer.  I did discover that Lucien Hugoniot-Tissot manufactured a variety of watchmaker’s, jeweler's and watchmaker's tools.  The company was located in MontĂ©cheroux in the Bourgogne-Franche-ComtĂ© region of eastern France near the border with Switzerland and was active between 1850 and 1930.  How the tool ended up in the boonies of eastern Ontario will remain a delicious mystery.

9 comments:

JGodsey said...

Thanks for this. just pulled a linesman pliers/multitool out of the derusting bucket and the L Hugoniot Tissot mark is soooo tiny i couldn't make it out.

Unknown said...

I found one not sure where it came from but it sayz "L. Huggniot-Tissot." ACIER. ANGLAIAS. FRANCE. Just curious how old they are from where exactly. And what it might be worth.

Huntless said...

That’s for your research! I recently brought a tiny little hammer from this manufacturer

Mister G said...

Possibly a jewellers hammer? If you could send a picture, I'll add it to the post. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hello, i have a pair of watchmakers pocket watch bow pliers, marked L. Hugoniot Tissot. They are well crafted, double use tool. They can enlarge or tighten the bow.

Mister G said...

Thans for the message, can you send me a picture? I'll add it to the post.

Unknown said...

I have a pair also. I was going to post a picture but I don't see an option here.
Do you have any idea what they are worth ? They sure are well made.

Mister G said...

You can send a picture to gerald@vanwyngaarden.ca I'll add it to the post!

Anonymous said...

I’ve also come across some of the same tools as the above mentioned. With identical markings, of a boar with horns looking stamped into the steel. One pair of pliers has 9 holes on upper and lower clamping areas.I’ll send a pic to the Email. I also found them in Ontario Canada. I was similarly disappointed to find little information on the origin and manufacturer.