Thursday, May 5, 2022

Suzuki TR750 engine


I've owned a number of GT750s over the years, enjoyed them but I always wanted to make it a bit more sporty. It's a big wide heavy lump. It would be nice to make a replica of the TR750, so I've been collecting pictures of the engine and components.
 Although the TR used a different cylinder casting than the stock bike, improvements in porting can still be made. The crankshaft was stock until the last models, I believe. The big issues would be the dry clutch and the 6 speed transmission. That setup is not easily replicated. I tried a GSXR gearset hoping it might be useable, but nope, too wide. 
 Anyways, I'll use this post as a repository for any info and pictures I can glean from old magazines and wherever else.
As a bonus, the pic below is a who's who or Suzuki riders.







Cycle magazine


GSXR gear cluster won't fit.


5 comments:

rats said...

I recognize Gary and Barry, and is the guy second from right Ron Haslam? Who are those guys, please?

A shadowy figure in NZ presents a photo of his GT750 6-speed conversion here --



-- but I see no text description of it on his site. He also put up a fairly unhelpful 20-second YouTube video:



I hope your Comments box -- I mean the one I'm typing in right now -- agrees to show the links. Google brings up some woofing about using a trans from one of the smaller GSes as well, but I didn't read them. Since I'm a busy man and all.

Thanks as always for the Show & Tell. Please build a GT/TR street racer and tell us all about it.

rats again said...

Well damn it. The NZ guy is thevintagegearcutter [dot] weebly.com.

Hailwood1965 said...

Ron Haslam? Are you high?

rats said...

Well that was helpful.

Mister G said...

Gary Nixon, Barry Sheene, Cliff Carr, Ken Araoka, Paul Smart. It appears the transmission parts for a dry clutch conversion are available, it just takes money. https://www.ebay.com/itm/384415954271
It seems I'm not the only guy wanting to make one.