Monday, October 16, 2017

We used to make things in this country. #275: I.C Line (Index Card Company Ltd.), Toronto, Ontario


I'm a sucker for metal boxes.  I pick them up whenever I find them, because they're so useful for protective storage of small tools, and they're mouse-proof!  Recently, I found this index card box.  Nicely made with a very fine piano hinge.  Pop rivet a box latch on the front, and it will become an excellent tool box.





For some reason, the cards came with organizers bearing the months of the year.  I don't know what purpose this was intended to serve, as usually such cards are organized alphabetically or by subject.  

Located as 2652 St. Claire Avenue, the Index Card Company of Canada was a going concern by 1951, at which point it was listed as having more than 50 employees.  It's trademark wasn't filed until 1965.  It was acquired by Esselte Pendaflex at some point, probably in the 1980's when that corporation was in full acquisition mode.  ("Pendaflex" was the first hanging file folder, created by that U.S. company in the late 1930's.  The firm is now just Pendaflex.)

No comments: