After the Franklin Car company had gone bankrupt in 1934, the name was bought by two former Franklin engineers who used their expertise to design an aircooled engine designed for aircraft use. During WW2 Franklin engines powered many light aircraft and due to their light weight also in experimental helicopters.
After the war the company was acquired by Preston Tucker for automotive use. The company was sold again after Tucker went bankrupt. The Aircooled Motor company continued to build engines till they went bankrupt in 1975.