Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Ford 8N clutch, chapter 2



Not much to report on the reassembly, basically just the reverse of disassembly ( as they say).
 The only thing that needed replacing was the clutch disc, it appeared magically on my doorstep. The plate and flywheel were fine, the friction surfaces were cleaned up with a wirebrush on the angle grinder. and some 400 wet and dry sandpaper.
 The throwout bearing and the pilot bearing felt perfect, I was going to make a lineup tool out of a wood dowel, I measured the transmission shaft at .665"- that seems an odd dimension ... what's that in metric? A check of the 6203 bearing shows it to be 17x40x12mm. I'd like to hear how that came to be spec'ed in an American design from the late '30s.  In the end I didn't make a tool, it's easy enough to locate the disc "close enough" by feel around the edge. 
In order to pull the two tractor halves back together evenly, I used a come-along on each side, closing up the gap gently, until it stopped moving- the clutch splines were misaligned, a few degrees turning of the PTO shaft with a pipe wrench, and pop! it slid together no problem. The clutch pedal needed adjusting, the threaded link was seized but that was remedied with WD40 and some "back and forthing" then some Antiseize(for the next guy).
All good, adjusted the carburetor like I originally planned and it's good for haying season. 



4 comments:

VectorWarbirds said...

The bearing is metric because the tractor was made in Russia and smuggled into Canada under cover of darkness. See I told you:)

Mister G said...

Is russia metric? I think we covered that on a previous post! https://progress-is-fine.blogspot.com/2018/03/and-you-thought-converting-from.html

Dave said...

The alignment tool says 0.67" so I'd say you got the right measurement.

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/Ford-8N_Clutch-Alignment-Tool_11125996.html

Looking at the release bearings, my guess is the original was probably fractional and the 6203 is a replacement.

VectorWarbirds said...

And I quote: Russia officially changed from the old system to the metric system after 1917. :) Interesting story I heard: When Russia copied our B-29 it converted everything to metric and the aircraft gained 4000 pounds.