Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Vanished tool brands: "Ash" coping saw, England



I picked up this little coping saw yesterday at a thrift store.  Surprisingly, it still retained the original thumb screws for attaching the blade--a nice feature that could easily have been lost as it passed hands.  The end of the frame opposite the handle is curiously elongated.  I don't know what the purpose of this feature is, as it doesn't add to clamping pressure on the blade.  Anyway, it's solidly made.

I can't find anything on the web about the company behind this saw.

Update:  Mister G reports that his Dixon jeweller's saw has the same projection.  On a smaller scale, so do my own (see my previous post).  So, I think the visitor's comment below provides exactly the explanation for this feature, providing more precise control for fine jewelry work.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the frame elongation is a thumb-and-forefinger grip, for two-handed operation of the saw.

Serotiny said...

I recently picked one of these up at a vintage store, I am in Australia. This is the only reference I can find on the internet! Any chance you found any more information?

Mister G said...

Sorry, even 6 years later, no additional info. It i interesting that it appears to have been sold worldwide...