Thursday, January 4, 2018

Vanished Tool Brands: Challenger, Cleveland, Ohio






I've only unearthed a small hand full of these tools over the years.

The Penens Corporation produced tools for the "Challenger" brand at Schiller Park, Illinois, at least up until the early 1960s.  At some point, production moved to Cleveland. The Canadian side of the operation, Proto Tools of Canada, operated out of London, Ontario. 

May 1959

October 1959

Proto eventually became part of the mighty Stanley Black & Decker empire.  Below, my pair of Stanley Challenger pliers:
















10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Challenger was around separate of Proto/Plomb? Interesting, I have a few combination wrenches, a 1/4" ratchet that say by Proto. Like Bluepoint by Snap-On. Good tools, I have a pretty good set of sockets and wrenches, 1/4 to 3/4 drive. Nothing really matches, it all old quality stuff, also Wright, S-K, Hazet, Williams etc.
Jim

imlacy said...

I have a 14 piece set challenger 3/8 drive socket set in original condition if anyone is interested.

Anonymous said...

I am interested , I can be reached at 905-703-1977

imlacy said...

Sent you a txt msg

Anonymous said...

I got 5/8 Challenger wrench says 6120 if anybody interested..731-335-4586

Anonymous said...

I have a 15 piece screwdriver set vintage Challenger in a couple Challengerwrenches

Anonymous said...

For the screwdriver set 15 pc contact schmidtbrian92@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I’ve unearthed a full set of challenger sockets 1 3/8 (1844) up to 2” (1864) ratchet and extension. 403-580-7369 (Alberta)

Anonymous said...

Scratch that, it starts lower. 17 piece so far

Anonymous said...

I am interested