Thursday, April 27, 2017

Record Auto Vice No. 74








 A reader from the UK sends these instructions for a 4 inch Record Auto Vice that he had obtained. His accompanying note reads;

 "A few years ago I found a dusty old box in the back of my father's shed. When I blew the dust off I realised that it was the original packaging for a vice, only then to discover that the unused vice was still inside in near mint condition. These instructions were also in the box.
 I have since cleaned the vice up and have it mounted on my work bench and use it regularly. Of course, I have kept the box and instruction sheet."

Nice find! and thanks for the contribution.
We wondered what relevance the Orb Chain Link logo had to the vice. Googling the name brought no information but we discovered that the sticker had been applied to cover another dealer's stamp, Woodberry, Chilcott &Co.
 Turns out they are still in operation as a metal supplier in Bristol.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow amazing to see original auto vice documentation, I’ve inherited a 74 model from my grandfather where it was mounted on his workbench for 50 odd years. Soon to be attached to my bench and serve another 50 no doubt. Thank you for posting this interesting history.

Mister G said...

You're welcome, a reader sent it in and I was happy to post it.

Unknown said...

Thankyou so much for sharing , what a treasure , I can now go and let my partner know what all the features are for , he forgot he had one hoarded in shed and now we will use it .

Mister G said...

Thanks for reading!

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting these images; it's wonderful to see the original documentation. I found a 74 in my late father's garage which I think came from my mother's father's garage. It's in good order, and is a beautiful thing; a real joy to have and use!