Sunday, January 5, 2020

Taylor's bicycle gear, 1896



This gearing system seems like it might have been worthy of development, the shifting via ballbearing-inside-mainshaft was later used on Sachs 125s (and others). On the downside the two right angle drives would rob power and it would have to be enclosed to protect the mechanism from road dirt. Also it would be certainly be more expensive than derailleur systems. It's an interesting idea.

But, more than 120 years later, they're still looking for a better way to get the most of our limited human power...

4 comments:

pzak said...

That new concept looks pretty cool but the reality is you can't beat roller chain efficiency of 98% +. Enclosing them to keep grit out and lube in is the answer but most people don't like the look. I do!

Mister G said...

Thanks for the comment! I have some questions about the Ceramicspeed concept, namely about the stiffness of the larger wheel. I don't think it would take much pedal force to push the little drive bearings out their matching recesses, especially out near the rim. Interesting, though!

pzak said...

Good point. I also think a pebble or a twig tossed into the works could spell trouble. The similarity to a cheese grater or meat grinder gives me pause . Best not to take a spill.

pzak said...

Speaking of ball bearings on a shaft to shift gears, my 1955 Victoria Swing motorcycle uses an electric pushbutton shifter to energize electromagnets to shift gears with a similar system. It was very unique but prone to trouble. Here is an article about my bike that was written when I once listed it on ebay but did not sell it.Later I saw this posted on the web.
https://www.bike-urious.com/technological-marvel-1955-victoria-swing-kr21/