Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Douglas Dragonfour Special

This motorcycle project was featured in the December 1990 issue of Classic MotorCycle. Don Brown had done some work on the engine of his Douglas flat twin and visualized a conversion to four cylinders by stacking a second motor above the original. It apparently went together logically and the crankshafts were coupled together on the front of the engine using an larger diameter idler. The upper engine does not use a flywheel. 

 It seems an unconventional solution and looks a little odd. At least he didn't pull the custom BMW trick of installing a VW Bug motor.  I've not ever seen a Douglas engine apart so I can't visualize how this was done, in fact I think I've only seen one Dragonfly in my life!




1 comment:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

I thought it was a silly assed photo chop at first glance.