Thursday, February 3, 2022

Miller chisel



Difficult to read but in the view below, there is a triangle, the name Miller, France, Chrome Manganese. When I first saw this, I dismissed it just another simple punch or cold chisel, but the business end looks too specific to me, it might be a stone or metal engraving chisel? Or?  Ideas, anyone?
 Update: The name is actually Muller and it is a stone carvers chisel
 (see comments, Thanks, Dave)



Dave came to the rescue and provided a picture of a new chisel complete with label. Thanks!



6 comments:

Unknown said...

By the way, it's 10" long X 1/2" diameter, with an octagonal shaft.

Dave said...

I would simply call it a point chisel; technically it's a stone dresser's or mason's point chisel but mechanics tend to get a lot of use out of them too as evidenced by the bent and blunted tip of the one in your pictures.

I use mine to knock out small bits of mortar when blending a repoint into existing work, and also to drive out bearings.

They're handy because with a light touch you can knock off the littlest bits (think tombstone lettering) but with a sledge you can rout and lever out giant chunks of mortar.

I have an unused French-made one somewhere and I believe it's painted orange as well. I'll have to find it and see if it's the same brand, or maybe that's a traditional color for them (easy to spot in a pile of dust).

Mister G said...

Beautiful. Thanks Dave!

Dave said...

I did find my chisel; turns out it's "Muller" not "Miller." Here's what one looks like new; I've always felt it's too pretty to hammer on (the point grind is gorgeous) but then again as an estate sale junkie I have a lifetime supply of "worker" point chisels (including one 2" dia behemoth) at my disposal so, you know.

https://i.imgur.com/T7PGXxZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5pUCFyh.jpeg

Unknown said...

Just acquired a socket set "Durable Made in Canada" and cannot track down any info about it. Hope you do not mind me asking here?

Mister G said...

Not at all! Here is a post on our experience with "Durable".
https://progress-is-fine.blogspot.com/2014/01/we-used-to-make-things-in-this-country_27.html