Monday, November 2, 2015

Vanished Tool Makers: "Colonel" screwdrivers, Sheffield, England



I recently found this 6-inch screwdriver at a thrift store. It was covered with black paint, and the handle had been wrapped with duct tape.  I initially passed it over.  However, I'm a sucker for tools with wooden handles, so I bought it in the end. I figured it was probably a Stanley or a Stanley knock-off, so I was surprised to find "Colonel Sheffield Eng" on the shank.  A google search indicates that there are lots of these screwdrivers out there, and even some chisels by this maker.  Apparently, their screwdrivers were O.E.M. for early post-war Rolls-Royce and Bentley automobiles, so they must have been a going concern. Beyond this, I can find no other information on the firm.

The nice thing about a Colonel is that you can use it to perform general or major work in private.

No comments: