Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Wilson's Ginger Ale: Gone, but not forgotten



Wilson's ginger ale dates back to 1875, when Charles Wilson started to bottle various sodas on Sherbourne Street in Toronto. His son Sam, who took over the business in the early 1900's, added the Wilson signature to the bottles.  He also introduced a bottle deposit, perhaps one of the first soda pop companies to do so.  In 1973,the family sold the ownership to Crush International.  The brand disappeared in 1985, a decade after the company's centenary.

In an article in the Toronto Star in 1985, Joey Slinger gave his impressions of the soft drink:

"Wilson’s ginger ale used to have bite, zest, sparkle. It made your whole mouth want to put on its dancing shoes. Taking a swallow of Wilson’s was like getting new batteries in your pacemaker. And it came out in a boldly marked can that seemed to shout, “Ginger ale and proud of it.” At least it did until some genius decided boldness was the wrong approach for ginger ale."
(Source:  Torontoist)

Source:  Kijiji

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Clearly those of us who remember Wilson's ginger ale really liked it. And some, like me, after trying other brands. Have since given up on the search for a replacement. If there is no Wilsons, then there is no ginger ale. Surely the formula still exists. I know if I made soft drinks I'd jump on it.

Clifford Johnston said...

The absolute best. Too bad my grandsons can't enjoy it as I did.

Unknown said...

Muskoka dry is pretty good, I buy it at the independent. (Gravenhurst)

Unknown said...

My father worked for Wilsons for most of his carrier, he ran the labeler, my brother and I worked many a summer slugging cases of empties and full cases, back then there were quart bottles, 6 or 8 in a wood case, man they were heavy. Those were the days, I still miss Wilsons and yes their Ginger Ale.

W. Wilson said...

We where related to Charles
I remember all his sodas an ginger ale was the best
Will never forget it an wish it was still here

Anonymous said...

Wilson Family member here. Thinking about a Re boot. Charles/Mary Wilson 💕

Anonymous said...

Hi! We are related then. Frankish/Wilson

Anonymous said...

@anonymous Charles & Mary Wilson...
Extremely excited about your message re a re-boot!
Bring it on!!! (from Niagara Region ON)

Anonymous said...

@anonymous Charles & Mary Wilson...
Keep in touch

Tedsky99 said...

tedsky99@gmail.com
Hope to hear from the Wilson's 🙏

Anonymous said...

W. Wilson
Have not been able to get any info about family
My dad an his sisters were born in Gravenhust Ont. an live in Rosseau Ont
My grandfather was born in Scotland

Anonymous said...

I am also related through Waverly's wife. My father used to get a Wilson's pop machine to put on the front porch at our cottage in the summer. I remember going to Waverly's cottage on Cameron Lake I believe and riding in his wooden boat. Great memories.

Anonymous said...

My father worked at Wilson's in the late 1950 and early 1960's. He built the shelving for displays in stores as well as doing anything Mr. Wilson needed help with. We used to meet dad after work on Friday's and Mr. Wilson would always give us a soda. They also had the best family Christmas parties.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I should restart the company. Descendant of Mary Frankish and Charles Wilson. 8 Beaumont Road, Rosedale

Anonymous said...

I live 2 streets from the family house on Beaumont rd. Andrew Wilson built #5 then Charles Wilson and Mary Frankish bought #8, which was built by Henry Mccleod(Bank of Nova Scotia). Henry only lived at 8 for 3 years I believe. We think Andrew bought most of the street in 1892 then sold plots to friends. My Great Great grandfather also lived w Mary and Charles at #8 when his wife died. I see ghosts when I walk on Beaumont!

Jjim T said...

I miss Wilsons Ginger Ale so bad. I was the best. loved their Wilsons Orange too. Please bring back Wilsons. Re-boot would be awesome.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike tracy wilson drop a line to armyal.
Grintamaki@yahoo.ca