Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Know your 1949-54 Pontiac starter



The "sparky stuff". 
Formative things. I was 18, driving an old mid-sixties GM van that probably used the same starter as this. The starter was struggling to turn over the engine, and I was considering a rebuilt starter whenever payday came. The mechanic at work suggested I rebuild mine. It's easy, he said, " a couple of wire connections, two bolts and you can bring it into the shop. Go to the auto electric place across the street and get a bushing and brushes."
So, about $6, some guidance (thanks, Ron!) and a half hour later I had a rebuilt starter,  I was king of the world.




4 comments:

Dave said...

I remember working with old mechanics who called the entire starter assembly the "Bendix."

VectorWarbirds said...

I remember they weighted about 40 pounds. A two hander for sure.

Mister G said...

I’m amazed at how small and flimsy they are today. Bendix- like Kleenex I guess...

JP said...

In French-speaking Europe, the distributor is "le Delco".:-)