Monday, January 25, 2021

Wolf 2-1 T500 pipe

 


Here is something unusual. a two into one exhaust for a Suzuki T500. If I remember the story correctly it was a one off, custom made for the owner by Gary Wolf who made 4-1 pipes in Ontario in the seventies and eighties. 

There were a number of manufacturers who made 3 into 1 pipes for the two stroke triples back in the day. Though they were styled to look like an expansion chamber, it's doubtful they were at all effective or efficient with all the confused soundwaves bouncing around inside them. I expect the same would be true for this setup, though considering the 180° power pulses, only one exhaust port would be open at a time...  hmmm. Now where is Gordon Jennings' Two stroke Tuners handbook?


Thanks, Walter.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having read Jennings cover to cover several times, my first thought is that it doesn't have enough volume (the three dimensional kind). I'll bet it had lots of the decibel kind.

Now I have to go through G.J.'s book *again* to see if I'm imagining things...

rdguy

Mister G said...

I agree with your thoughts. It seems even small for a single cylinder 250. I also don't like the siamesed expanding cone treatment. But I also don't think feeding from two cylinders would work in a single expansion chamber. Oh to have too much time, energy, a dyno and a proper workshop. That's not asking much, is it?

rats said...


I'm delighted to announce that these guaranteed-to-triple-your-horsepower pipes are available in the here and now. And cheap!

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=293741107937&category=179753&pm=1&ds=0&t=1611697753125

Note that for even more power, the chambers are offered in "new color versions, including the inevitable green color."

Mister G said...

Quote "a magical sound" ;-)

Unknown said...

Went to school with Gary, and he lived and breathed Suzuki. Never offered me this exhaust, though, and I owned a couple of T500s.
I have Jenning's book around here somewhere and, since I am decluttering and packing for moving, I'm sure I'll come across it. Gary was (is) familiar with Jenning's work.

Mister G said...

I've met him, though I doubt he'd remember me. He was a big player in the biz for awhile, everyone had a Wolf Pipe. Wish I'd taken more pictures back in the day. A few years ago, at my spot at Paris Vintage meet, Gary Wolf and Terry Wolfe of Wolfe Worx in London happened to meet each other for the first time. I at least thought it was a historical moment...:-)