Thursday, January 28, 2021

One of my vices is vises, J. Smart again



We've covered the J. Smart Manufacturing Company before, but this big solid vise (patented in 1901) is a bit of a unique design with the loop portion of the sliding jaw. The loop is solid steel, 1 1/4"  diameter. The tall humped jaw area is reminiscent of the older blacksmith post vises.  The vise owner passed on a bit of vise wisdom when he sent the images, "I didn't need another vise but stuck it on a spare bench and I guess that bench needed a vise because I seem to be using it regularly..." 
Life is better with vices.





 
Thanks, Reg







2 comments:

VectorWarbirds said...

I am now wondering if this vise addiction is not also a bench addiction? I mean every vise needs a bench!

tawhatnext said...

Patented by J. L. Ware of St. Paul, Minnesota, and manufactured at the James Smart plant in Brockville ON. Mister G, look for an ad in your email.

Vise and patent discussion here:
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/the-vises-of-garage-journal.44782/post-6388673