Sunday, June 12, 2022

Allis Chalmers Model G

The rear engine Model G was built for small farms and market gardens. It was a different concept than most tractors, rather than pulling implements, they were mounted to the machine between the front and rear wheels, and under the operators feet, giving him an excellent view of the work. Farmall used Culti-vision to accomplish the same thing. The power was a 61 cu in 4 cylinder, rated at 10 hp, working through a 3 speed transmission.

 It was not as successful AC hoped, about 30,000 were made between 1948 and 1955.

 





4 comments:

rats said...

Cool Idea; I can see why it didn't set the world on fire.

Mr. G et al, does one take one's life in one's hands when one attempts to operate the clutch on all Allises of that vintage? Everything on my circa 1954 twin-cyl seemed to be set up right, but whoa Nellie: no such thing as gradual takeup. Hair trigger, slam bang, every time.

Mister G said...

I dunno, we had a couple of Allis "B"s that the clutch worked fine! They're pretty easy to take apart to check it...

rats said...

Thanks (for making me feel even worse about myself). I had the clutch apart twice (the second time to see if I'd bungled the first reassembly), had knowledgeable tractor coots inspect and advise, replaced the lining (I think). Had Father O'Hanlon oil it, with appropriate murmurings. Still it was more toggle switch than clutch.

Mister G said...

I've found oil soaked linings, crunchy splines and crunchy throwout bearing. After that? I don't know!
But I'm just a shade tree mechanical farmer-type hack.