Monday, January 16, 2023

Monday Mystery , Chicago Specialty Mfg. Tool

 This looks like a step drill but as it is marked Malleable iron, I don't think that is a drill material? Chicago Specialty Mfg. was a plumbing tool manufacturer and when we find out what it is I'll move it to the previous post.


Anonymous said...

Radiator valve spud wrench.


Anonymous said...

It's a radiator spud wrench. I use one frequently when I go about my work of renovating homes in my 'hood that were built between 1860 and 1930 or so. Of course the homes built prior to about 1905 used coal open hearth fireplaces as their source of heat. But they were then converted to steam or gravity hot water systems.
I'll often install old radiators into my youngish clients new spaces, they like the look. And speaking from my own experience, radiant heat is noticeably more comfortable than convection. Of course, for the operating cost you can't beat today's heat pumps.
Back to the spud wrench, my local Home Depot has five of them in stock.

meddleshop said...

It's called a "spud wrench" it's used for removing/installing things like floor drains and older style bath tub and sink drains. just a crude but effective internal wrench

Unknown said...

I had never seen or heard of one. Seems it may also be called an inner pipe wrench.

Mister G said...

Thanks all!
I was trying to figure out how it could be used to bear against the inside of a pipe, but I guess in this case there are nubbins (that's the technical term...) to engage.
Much appreciated.