Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Hyde wallpaper #777 trimmer



 Hard to get excited about something as simple as a wallpaper trimmer- and people don't use wallpaper near as much as they used to, but when its a nice sculptural thing and well-presented like this, I can admire it for a bit. 
 Isaac P. Hyde started his cutlery company in 1875, and the family-owned company is still around today in Southbridge, Mass. making tools for drywall, flooring and painting. Their company seems quite proud of their heritage and can be found here- including scans of their old catalogs.







4 comments:

Dave said...

Thanks for the catalog links; those were cool to browse through. It's funny how they repurposed and marketed a wallpaper cutter as a pizza cutter.

My grandfather was a paperhanger as a second job back in the 50s-70s and I have his brass-bound, 7-foot straightedge which comes in handy as a level extension.

Mister G said...

Looking back at it, in the seventies, as a kid outta high school, wallpaper was the choice, new apartment got every wall done. That's gone completely now.-Time for a rebirth!

Dave said...

When I was a kid wallpaper was all over the place and I was fascinated by pieces that had been hung not quite lined up properly, with the patterns justified upward or downward. I think it really bothered me when I saw it, but thankfully I got over it (to a degree).

Mister G said...

Our work was certainly not perfectly done. And the patterns were well, 70s tacky as interpreted by teenage males... classy we were not.