Saturday, February 14, 2015

Gripping Tales: Harrold Tool Company, Colombiana, Ohio



These pliers are the only tools I've ever encountered with this company's name.  I suspect that their shape has been modified by a previous owner, since slip-joint needle-nose pliers are unusual to say the least.  Probably, he needed a pair of circlip pliers and so modified this tool to work.

There's not a lot of information available about this company.  The H.J. Harrold Tool Co. was located in Colombiana, Ohio, starting off as the Harrold Tool & Forge Company.  Below, a 1920 ad brought to my attention by a visitor's comment:


MotorBoating, December, 1920

At one time they made axes, which seem well thought of.  Their other or later offerings garner less praise. One commentator on the web claims that they continued to make tools from malleable steel after every one switched to carbon steel.  They must have made more than tools, though, since they had a patent assigned to them in 1960 for a reclining chair mechanism.  I see that some tools under their name were made in Germany, probably post-war when labour costs there were cheap.  Given what I've been able to find, they seem to have been in the same category as Oxwall Tools.
A reader provided the above picture of an axe head he found and wonders what the initials mean. The ad above makes reference to H J H tools but neither of the initials could be interpreted as an h or a j. Anyone have an idea?

Below, the lid of a "Junior's Tool Chest" made by the company and offered on the web.  It looks like they cheaped out on the artist:  the kid looks moronic and possibly vampiric.  


Located halfway between Pittsburgh and Cleveland, Columbiana bills itself as "The city with the small-town heart." Cute.  Harvey Firestone was born there and is tiresomely remembered through a park and a cemetery.

Update Feb 2021, A reader sends in images of this very basic brace.  A wingnut clamp stands in for what would normally be a chuck, more expensive to manufacture.



15 comments:

Tim Daley said...

I am a Ford historian, exclusively a vintage Ford Tool enthusiast and collector, editor of Ford Tool Times, and member of the National Ford Tool Collectors organization. I do know that HARROLD TOOL was a supplier to Ford Motor Company, at least during the early V8 and N-Series tractor years. They supplied pliers, Ford part number B-17025-A2, which was an alternate tool kit piece when the McKaig/Hatch A1 versions were not available. All Ford pliers had one handle end ground to a screwdriver blade tip. HARROLD TOOL also was a supplier of the Ford screwdriver, part number B-17020, though no dat found on what years they were. The Ford screwdriver was never marked with a Ford logo, but the drawing shows that a vendor ID mark could be added to the blade tip. Only some screwdrivers are found with the letter ‘B’ stamped on tip. The HARROLD screwdriver for Ford has HARROLD USA stamped on the ferrule. I have actual examples of the pliers in my collection but only pictures of the screwdriver.

Mister G said...

Thanks for the reply! Good information and something to look for while perusing country fleamarkets. Much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Just received some tools from my grandpa that he said was his dad's with this company's name on it looks very used. Does any body know how to post a picture on here and if any of you want it you are more than welcome to send me your info or take a look.

Mike:951-7seven6-6four9one plz no calls after 9:00 pm pacific time.

Anonymous said...

I recently rescued an angle-headed pliers from being recycled, and the Harrold mark was HARROLD above USA inside a simple inverted triangle. I've only seen the round mark on Harrold tools, and only one other identical pliers with the triangle mark. Does anyone know if it appears on any of their other tools? They did use a much fancier triangle early on:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=ZBF0-2V0sFwC&pg=PA166&lpg=PA166&dq=harrold+tools+mark&source=bl&ots=4TWrBZz4T4&sig=8m2HlI_FppEkSgqH4U3Fta8H2YA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwia5IKiq8rVAhUBKGMKHb56CAUQ6AEIKDAD#v=onepage&q=harrold%20tools%20mark&f=false

The Duke said...

Thanks for the link to the 1920 ad! I love it when visitors give us this kind of information. I've added the ad to the post.

Mister G said...

Thanks or the comment/question. Can't help you there but you can send an image to gerald@vanwyngaarden.ca and I'll add it to the post.

Hugo Woodsman said...

I just got a 4lb axe with
h Harrold stamped on it.
I'm in the UK, unusual find for me.

R Harrold Johnson said...

I am a Harrold. As in Harrold tool. I have been collecting for a few years and am trying my best to get as many of these as I can. I have the creepy kid tool box and even have a mold or die for the 8" adjustable wrench. My Aunt worked there for many years and even sent some hand work home for me (stamping stickers and putting on boxes for screwdrivers to be sent to the military).

Rob said...

I have a bit brace (10" sweep) marked HARROLD USA. (will email pictures)

Doug Daniel said...

I believe that this is the same Harrold(s) that were also involved in the founding of the Crescent tool company.

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/CrescentHistory.ashx


I has several pairs of Harrold pliers and a short Harrold non-twist flat bladed screwdriver with a wood handle.

Anonymous said...

I have a huge collection of harrolds looking for other collectors

Anonymous said...

I have a pretty big collection too would love to share pictures of what you have

Anonymous said...

Loaded with harrolds email me jalaclair2484@gmail.com love to see what you have

Lori Kendrick said...

My mother, Deloris, now 86 yrs old was taken in & raised by the Harrolds in 1940. She has a few tools in her cedar chest to pass down to us. I always look for some Harrold tools at estate sales. Would love to connect with other Harrolds. 440-221-0232.

Anonymous said...

This is my great grandpa’s tool company. If you have questions we can help :) nataliedawn5895@gmail.com