Launched in 1897 at Barrow-in-Furness, she served in the Boer War but was already considered obsolete by the time she became part of the Canadian Navy. Expensive to run, this restricted her service as a training ship when when she ran aground on Sable island in 1911 she did not see service again till 1914. During WW1 she patrolled along the east coast and in the St Lawrence but her age and obsolescence resulted in her being permanently docked in mid-1915. She was scrapped in the 1920s.
|Lt Col D J Goodspeed The Armed Forces of Canada 1867-1967 Queens Printer Ottawa 1967|