|James P. Delgado. Alcatraz. The Story Behind the Scenery. KC Publications, Inc., 1985, Sixth Printing, 1998. Photography by Jeff Gnass.|
Built on the site of the 1858 defensive barracks or citadel, the construction was started in 1909 and completed in 1912. It was designed to be earthquake, fire- and escape proof.
Below, other photos from the same book:
"A" Block is the only section of the cellhouse to retain its original military appearance, with circular staircase and flat "strap" iron cells. It was not remodeled in 1933 when the Bureau of Prisons acquired the Army prison.