Wednesday, February 3, 2021

One of my vices is vises; Reed Manufacturing


 In my travels I've not run across a Reed vice, but reader Dave sent in this image of a sign he was given, with the following note,
"I thought you may enjoy this Reed Vise sign I have. I used to work for a construction and industrial tool distributor back in the 80’s. We were a Reed tool distributor and I purchased a couple of tools for personal use. The Reed rep stopped by our store with this sign and asked me if I wanted it.  Apparently they were cleaning out a warehouse at Reed and found a couple of boxes of these signs.  No on knew they were there or how old they were. Speculation was early 20th century.
It’s in pristine condition except for a couple nicks and scratches from being in a box for 50 years or so.  Enjoy!" 

Reed was started by Carl Reed in 1896, the company was sold to Rueben Wright in 1902, and the business has been in the family ever since. The company is still in Erie, making pipe tools and vises, including a line of nice bench vises


Update, Jan 2024 This giant 7" reed vise appeared on Fbk in Calgary. 
Thanks, Woody!


2 comments:

Dave said...

That is a really cool sign; a piece of artwork really.

meddleshop said...

I had a vise identical to that one, it was in perfect condition like it was never used. I always thought someone had added the red highlights on the lettering, apparently it's OEM. I think I sold it on Ebay, didn't get much should've kept it. wish I had that sign to go with it.