Thursday, February 25, 2021

We used to make things in this country, #322 Craftmaster


Here's a saw I was given many years ago, accepted solely on the streamline shape of the guard. (I'm not shallow). Just a small quality home workshop tool featuring some nicely styled castings.  Like so many projects, it never got used. 
Craftmaster was a London Ontario-based company that grew out of the Henry Tool company , maker of vices for the Canadian military during WW2. After the war William J. Henry formed the company Henry Power Tools, which made and sold a line of tools that along with the table saws included drill presses, band saws, lathes and others. The company did well, after Mr. Henry passed away in 1947, his wife continued the business till it was sold to Strongridge Ltd in 1953, also located in London. The company continued to manufacture and sell these tools till the mid eighties when it closed due to foreign competition.
 I don't have the room, but having seen the lineup, I wonder who the designer was. I think I need the whole set. 
Canadian Woodworking

Usedvictoria.com

Vintagemachinery


Canadian Woodworking


from the collection of Craig


No comments: