The Airco DH2, designed by Geoffrey de Havilland, entered service in early 1916, powered by a 100 hp rotary engine and armed with a single machine gun. The first example was put in service in France but was soon shot down, its pilot killed. Unfortunately the Germans recovered the plane and rebuilt it.
Within a year it had been outclassed and all were replaced by June of 1917. About 450 had been constructed during that time.